Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A confused jumble

So. I smacked someone today and stopped myself from apologizing to him.
That's really rude, isn't it? And usually totally unlike me.
But let me explain.
I'm in the grocery store, contemplating my purchase choice.
When I feel a hand touch my hair. And someone say "your hair is really soft and pretty."
At which I swung my hand up and smacked the hand away.
And then I turned around and started to say "I'm so...".
And I stopped. Because you know what?
I didn't know him.
He didn't have permission to touch me.
And I didn't want him to touch me.

So really, I'm not sorry I smacked a man's hand away from my hair.

You think my hair is lovely? Thank you for the compliment.
But you don't get to touch me.
I. Don't. Know. You.
Don't do it to anyone.

4 comments:

Christina said...

No no and NO you do not need to apologize and I am glad you stopped yourself. Freaky. He's lucky he didn't get a gut punch to follow up that slap!

shayera said...

I was proud I didn't yell. I'm sort of used to getting touched occasionally, 'cause, you know, the branch always has kids in. And sometimes the differently abled use touch to communicate. But this was just a dude bro.

Demeur said...

That's just creepy Shayera. I could understand if it was someone with Down syndrome.

ThatDeborahGirl said...

I wish I could smack my boss when she touches my afro every time I get my hair done.

Well done! Especially not apologizing. We women are so trained to apologize aren't we? I find myself apologizing for the silliest things. I must stop this.